Thursday, September 11, 2008

I remember

The day when the world changed. It's been seven years and we can still feel what we felt seven years ago. Today in my Ethics in Journalism class, we watched a live airing of that day. We all took turns telling our story of what we remembered.

I was in Germany, a sophomore in high school. Over there it happened during the afternoon so the first plane hit when I was still on the bus going home. My uncle was visiting for a week because he was stationed in Aviano, Italy. I walked in with him glued to the TV and was curious to know what movie he was watching [many of us thought it was a movie]. Then I saw it...the second plane crashing into the second tower... I didn't know what to say, what to do ... then it hit me, call dad, call dad. I phoned my dad but I couldn't get through and I remembered, he's ok. He's here in Germany, not there anymore. I was panicking because he was recently there in New York the week before. Then my mom called. She said the bases are going to be on lock-down and she wouldn't get home for awhile. So I just sat there...watching the people in debris and smoke with my uncle until my parents came home. School was cancelled for us for four days. The bases were on lock-down for those days, meaning high security. Very difficult to get in or out and it was like that for awhile.

So that's what happened in that time, in that part of the world for me. It is not yet history, and we are all still suffering from that day in many ways than one.

No comments: